Surface engineering combines methods for directional changes of physical and chemical properties of the material surface layers by deformation, modification, deposition of films, coatings, protective layers using various combined methods
New materials are composite materials such as carbon fiber reinforced plastic, glass-fiber reinforced plastic, basalt fiber reinforced polymers, aramid plastic and metal composites, high-tech ceramics – aluminum, zirconia, oxide, nitride, carbide ceramics and others, new construction materials – new insulating materials from foam glass, modifying agents of roadway surfacing based on rubber powder or polymer fibers, new concrete types. The application range of new materials is the widest – space and aircraft industry, construction engineering, medicine, protection and safety
The technology implies changing the shape and dimensions of billets due to the effect of applied forces with a subsequent result saving. The shape and dimensions of the product do not change after the pressure loss. In order to increase the plasticity, metal is heated to the specific temperature before the beginning of the treatment. The temperature is determined individually for each type of the material depending on its specific physical and chemical characteristics
Depending on the requirements made to operational characteristics of parts, there are three types of coatings
Casting production is a field of mechanical engineering which deals with formed parts and billets by pouring the molten metal into the moulds where their cavity have the configuration of required parts
In the casting process, metal solidifies in the mould during the cooling process obtaining a casting mold – a finished part or a billet which can be mechanically treated if it is necessary (increase of the dimension accuracy and roughness reduction). In this respect, the casting production has the task to obtain casting moulds where the dimensions and the shape are as close as possible to the dimensions and the shape of the finished part. From 50% to 95% of all parts in machines and industrial equipment are manufactured by casting into moulds
|Head of the branch:
Svetlana Latushkina, Head of Vacuum-Plasma Coatings Laboratory, Cand. Sc. in Engineering, Associate Professor.
The department «Vacuum and Compressor Equipment» of Belarusian National Technical University was established in 2008.
– Vacuum and Compressor Equipment (1st degree)
– Innovative technologies in mechanical engineering (Master’s study)
Training for Undergraduate and Masters students is aimed at the activities complying solving design and engineering as well as manufacturing and technological tasks, assembly, adjustment, operation, diagnostics and repair of vacuum and compressor equipment. During the study, much attention is given to simulation basis and special methods for solving engineering tasks. Students get acquainted with modern computer systems of computer-aided design such as AutoCAD, KOMPAS, SolidWorks, Creo.
Some graduation projects are carried out taking into account the needs of the department branch at SSI «The Physical-Technical Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus».
The graduates of the Department are placed into leading enterprises and institutions in the field of mechanical engineering: SSI «The Physical-Technical Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus», «IZOVAK», «Stratnanotek», «Atava», OJSC «MMW named after S.I. Vavilov- managing company of BelOMO holding», The A.V. Luikov Heat and Mass Transfer Institute of NAS of Belarus, State Institution «Republican Scientific and Practical Center for Transfusiology and Medical Biotechnologies».
Head of the Branch:
Igor Akula, Leading Researcher of the Laboratory of Nanomaterials and Ion-Plasma Processes, Cand. Sc. in Physics and Mathematics
The department branch «Applied Mechanics» of BrSTU has been established on May 13, 2021 at PTI NAS of Belarus.
The Applied Mechanics Department was established on February 1, 2017 by merging the departments «Material Resistance and Theoretical Mechanics» and «Structural Mechanics».
– Automation of Technological Processes and Production
– Motor Roads
– Car Service
– Water Supply, Water Disposal and Water-Resources Conservation
– Machines and Equipment of Food Production
– Melioration and Water Management
– Manufacturing of Building Products and Structures
– Civil and Industrial Engineering
– Heat and Gas Supply, Ventilation and Air-Pollution Control
– Technical Operation of Automobiles
– Technological Equipment of Machinery Production
– Technology of Mechanical Engineering
– Real Estate Expertise and Management
– use of low-temperature plasma in the machinery
– development of technological foundations and the technology of forming isothermal functional coatings with applying combined electromagnetic and chemical treatment methods
– development of effective methods for calculating structural components under mechanical and temperature effects
– design of models and software разработка моделей и компьютерных программ расчета сооружений
Scientific and research cooperation according to joint programs:
– SSI «The Physical-Technical Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus»
– SSI «Institute of Powder Metallurgy» of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus
– EI «Belarusian National Technical University»
– Belarusian State University
– Ioffe Physical-Technical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences
– Bialystok University of Technology
– State Higher Vocational School. prof. E. Szczepanik in Suwalki
– OJSC «Smorgon plant of optical machine-tool building»
– OJSC «Brestmash»
– OJSC «Kuzlitmash»
– OJSC «Brestgazoapparat», etc.